Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Thing #18 Explore Social Networking

Most middle and high school aged students spend countless hours communicating with friends and others via facebook and twitter.  I find both these networks to be controversial.  Most recently cyber-bullying is quickly becoming one source of much dismay among young people.  Gone are the days when you could end a conflict by talking it out at school and forgetting about it.  Nowadays, someone somewhere is going to find a way to keep the drama going with a FB post or Tweet.

I have used Facebook to keep in touch with my many family members who chose to frequent these sites.  Mainly I joined because I don't get to visit my home state very much and this was the most convenient way to send well wishes and at least know what some newer family members look like growing up.

Although I can see some ways that social networking could benefit learning, I have found many more reasons for young students not to use these tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment