Monday, October 15, 2012

Thing #12 Google is Not Just for Searching Anymore

!Google, google, and more GoOgLe!!!! Wow! The possibilities are endless with the wonderful world of Google.  First of all I have had a Google email (gmail) account for a number of years now.  It all began when I purchased a cell phone.  I was required to set up a gmail account in order to use some of the phone's features.  Prior to this I used  yahoo as my preferred email so I figured I would just use the gmail for the less important stuff.  This course had opened my eyes to a plethora of useful tools and information for which I already had available to me.  I can now proudly report that I am now a Google + user, I have a Google Reader account, I set up a Google Alert with the topic "teaching in behavior support classrooms", and I have tried to used Google Translate to learn a few key phrases to use in my overseas travels to Southern Africa later this month.  I looked up Hello, Thank you and How much? in Afrikaans only to discover that in Southern Africa, Afrikaans is considered the "language of the oppressor and I would make more enemies than friends if I chose to use this language during my travels! However, I am still excited about the usefulness of this tool in my future classroom.  Social Studies is one of the subject areas for which I believe I will get the most use of the translate tool.  Often times when studying various cultures unfamiliar words or phrases will appear.  This tool will not only aide students in pronouncing the words but also provided examples of usage to deepen student understanding of the word or phrase.  I also plan on using the calendar tool as a resource for parent communication, visual aides for students, and reminders for myself! 

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=XT#auto/es/Dear%20Parent%2C%0A%0AThank%20you%20for%20giving%20me%20the%20opportunity%20to%20join%20you%20in%20exploring%20the%20possibilities%20of%20life%20with%20your%20child

No comments:

Post a Comment